What did “Hver gang vi møtes” mean for the artists who took part in the earlier seasons, personally and due to their career? Former participants give us the answers, and we got throwbacks through six seasons in «Hver gang vi møtes – Special» Alexander took part in 2014, and here is his answers and throwbacks in this special edition 🎉🤩
Alexander participated in season 3, recorded in August 2013 and broadcast in spring 2014, and he had a great success with his covers of the other artist’s songs.
If you want to see more of Alexander in “Hver gang vi møtes 2014”, you’ll find it all here:
The concept of the show is that 7 artists live together for 10 days and everyone have their special day where they are celebrated with covers of their songs by the 6 other artists. Watch and listen to all the covers with lyrics in the YouTube playlist below.
“Lucky One” by Øivind Elg Elgenes “Strange Little Bird” by Anneli Drecker “Smooth Escape” by Simone Eriksrud “Kan Eg Gjørr Någe Med Det” (Can I do something about it) by Sigvart Dagsland. “Money”/ “Penger er ikke alt” by Samsaya “Ut” (Out) by Lars Lillo-Stenberg “All I wanna do” by Simone Eriksrud “Ka E Du Redd For” (What are you afraid of?) by Sigvart Dagsland “Neste Sommer” (Next summer) by Lars Lillo-Stenberg
All the songs are available to buy on iTunes and on CD. Click HEREto find out more about it!
Watch and listen to all the covers in this YT-playlist
The last episode of 3rd season of “Hver gang vi møtes” was traditionally dedicated to duets, when one or several artists featured another artist during the performance of his/her song. Alexander was involved in 3 duets. Here are full episode with subs, the songs took part in and reviews of them made by the largest Norwegian newspapers. Continue reading Alexander Rybak — Duets Day in HGVM with Reviews→
Rybak was a clever rapper.
Alexander started the day with «Money» the single from 2009 and has translated the lyrics from English to Norwegian. This was anything but what Samsaya had expected.
– It was a super-surprise. He had translated it to “Penger er ikke alt” (Money ain’t all), and it was so cool. He had really put work into that song. I got an incredibly good feeling, and he was a very clever rapper. Super-good and surprising start,- says Samsaya to TV2.
VG.no by Stein Østbø 05.04.2014
Alexander Rybak – Money – Dice 4
Alexander as rapper? Well, that is not the most successful part of this version, but he brings welcomed sunshine into the the refrain where the original is darker and more edgy- it almost becomes better and more uplifting. A plus for a good Norwegian translation, but put a hoodie on next time you want to play b-boy Alexander…..
Dagbladet.no 05.04.2014 Øyvind Rønning
Alexander Rybak – Money (Samsaya/Lindal) – Dice 4
Samsaya is probably the biggest challenge for the TV-viewers, mostly because so few of her songs are known to the general public. Alexander Rybak started the party as rapper, just the like the Indian-Norwegian artist started, with a synth and without a fiddle – and he shall be honoured for doing something else other than what’s expected. “De fattigste av oss er de som bare har penger” (Because the poorest of us, are those who just have money) sounds like an okay translation of a song originally written in English. Rybak radiates as usual, the refrain is catchy and suddenly he is Samsaya’s “little brother in Norway” as she burst out thrilled.
Alexander Rybak concludes the tribute with the 2001 song “Kan eg gjørr någe med det?” and his version touches Sigvart.
– When he did the violin intro and started on the high tones, I was very touched. He has a tremendous musicality. I recognize myself a bit in Alexander, even though we come from very different places, but we click with each other on musicality. It was a beautiful moment, says Sigvart Dagsland (Ref. TV2.no)
Translated by Tessa Lande. Revised by Katie Anderson.
Dagbladet: Dice 6 (Dagsland/Roalkvam):
An appropriate contribution to the debate after Sigvart has spoken about his reaction to the church’s opposition to homosexuality. And – it is no coincidence that Rybak is the final performer.
This is going to be the best, and he is serious about it! Rybak cultivates interaction and the combination of fiddle, vocals and the simplistic arrangement, and puts all of himself into the song. We have never heard him sing this way – sorely and with strong empathy. The gypsy inspired fiddle playing is both virtuosic and beautiful, and underlines the seriousness and drama. Sigvart claims that he is not easily moved, and here he balances narrowly. A grandiose finale!
VG: Dice 4 (Stein Østbø)
Alexander sings powerfully, but a little bit staccato. He still gives the song an additional coat of naked melancholy through his fiddle. The arrangement is beautiful, dramatic, dark blue and quite a bit sensitive, without ever tending to emotion.
– “The guy is a firework of a performer, and I loved that version. I had hoped that he would do it “Fairytale”-like, and it was exactly what he did. I was blessed afterwards”- says Simone to TV 2 (transl. by Anni Jowett)
(Translation by Hilde M.)
VG.no by Stein Østbø – Dice 3
Alexander tries to transform 90’s funk into folk music, and that is not an easy task. Alexander only manages half-way. His interpretation does not meet the promise of the sweeping violin intro. But, he sings very well and gives the song a touch of classic Rybak optimism.
Simone Eriksrud was one of the artists in the Norwegian TV-show “Hver gang vi møtes” 2014 with Alexander Rybak
In addition to his special talent and his musicality, I like that Alexander is so sincere and passionate. And that he doesn’t try to be better or different. He is also quite good at recognizing others.
NAME: Simone Eriksrud BIRTHDAY: 21st of August HOME COUNTRY: Norway
Found by Venche M. Eanglish translation by Laila S.H. English revising by Anni Jowett.
“You could have got me to the altar now”
– I am not easily touched,- Alexander Rybak said in “Hver Gang Vi Møtes”. But the best interpretation of the night touched everyone.
– This song was written during a time when I still trusted blindly in people,- Alexander Rybak said in tonight’s “Hver Gang Vi Møtes”. And it was Sigvart Dagsland who touched and surprised the most when he in tonight’s program had rewritten the ballad “13 Horses” in Norwegian.
Touched Rybak to tears: Alexander Rybak struggled to hold back the tears when Sigvart Dagsland performed a tremendous version of “13 Horses” in “Hver gang vi møtes. The women around the table on their side did nothing to hide her tears. Ref: Stein Østbø, VG
English translation by Venche M. and Hildebjorg H. English revision by Anni Jowett.
Samsaya – “Europe Skies”
Samsaya opened the musical day with “Europe’s Skies” from Alexander’s album “No Boundaries” from 2010.
Alexander thinks Samsaya has done interesting things with his song.
– I have always believed that what makes my songs, is the usage of classic chords, but Samsaya took it away and it worked. And she makes an insane performance as well. She simplified the chords. I think it’s only her who could make the song believable that way,- says Alexander to TV 2.
For the first time Alexander Rybak shows off his apartement at Aker Brygge.
Welcome! Alexander Rybak (27) is of current interest with the TV2 success “Hver Gang Vi Møtes”.
– I got along best with Sigvart Dagsland. He thinks of music at the same level as me. I am already looking forward to the next time I’ll see him, he tells.
The busy guy with the fiddle is traveling most of the time. He is away from home 250 days a year. When he happens to be at his apartment at Aker Brygge in Oslo he enjoys relaxing in front of his new 55 inch 4K-TV.
Article in the paper issue of Se & Hør, published 13.4.2014. Text: Per Sigve Kleppe. Photos: Henning Jensen Found, scanned and translated by Jorunn E. English revision by Anni Jowett.
Alexander opens the doors to his bachelor burrow
Bachelor burrow: The 55 inch TV is the centerpiece of the living room. – I enjoy life when I get to sit on the couch and play video games, said Alexander Rybak.
I have learnt to enjoy life when I`m at home. This is my “safe house”. I play TV-games, watch movies and build LEGO. LEGO is what I busy myself with when I write lyrics, he tells.
Lives here: In 2010 Alexander bought a 90 square metre apartment at the attractive area Aker Brygge in Oslo. He paid a little over five million Norwegian krone for it.
– I remember I got scolded by my Norwegian teacher in primary school. We got a book, and we students were going to read one chapter a week. I read the book in a few hours. The teacher did not believe me and got grumpy, smiles Alexander.
Could have been burnt out
Playing the violin at Alexander’s level is a demanding exercise. Dad Igor tells they are happy he doesn’t only give violin concerts.
– If that was the case, my son would’ve been burnt out already. It`s difficult to understand how demanding it is to give a violin concert, tells Igor who says his son was already a capable violinist at the age of six.
Many people claim that Alexander has the gene of a genius in his body. Like many other geniuses he has chosen his own path. Sometimes things have become too much for him, like when he hit his hand against the wall in rage. And when he smashed his violin during a rehearsal.
Sushi dinner: The Rybak family are having a very nice time chatting around the dinner table. Alexander served sushi.
World fame: Here Alexander Rybak is pictured during his performance of Fairytale at the final in Moscow in 2009. This was the moment that changed his life.
Nice memories: The trophy of all trophies is standing on the mantle: The proof that he won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009 with the legendary Fairytale
– I can go 12 days in a row with four to five hours of sleep. Then I’m out of balance. If it`s in addition to a big pressure similar things like when I hit my hand against the wall and had to wear a cast occurred. But now I have learnt to live with it. Now I’m able to stay calm in such situations.
The MGP-legend is used to high and low tunes. The music reflects his life.
– Sometimes I don’t feel anything. It’s all empty. During those periods I’m the most susceptible, and often those are the times when I create new music, he tells.
Could`ve been “The Bachelor”
Music has given Alexander opportunities and great offers. Some things he has accepted, others he regrets turning down.
– I turned down being a guest at the Oprah Winfrey show a few years ago. Also I turned down participating in the Ukrainian celebrity Version of “The Bachelor”. They offered me 8 million Krone, but I had a girlfriend at the time. If I had received the offer today, the answer would’ve surely been different, he says smiling.
At the age of 27, however, he has achieved more than most people. That’s why it’s suitable to finish this article with these words from Alexander:
– This isn’t something a mother or father enjoys hearing, but I can say that if I died today I would’ve died a lucky man.
Alexander Rybak in “Hver gang vi møtes 2014” (Every Time We Meet) – a reality TV-show for artists.
7 artists meet and live together for 10 days at a farm. The concept is a cozy get-together, where the artists shall perform their own covers of the other artists’ songs. Each artist has a day that is designated to them. The artist chooses the activities during the day, and later the other artists perform this artist’s songs at the dinner table in the evening.
Alexander Rybak took part of the 3rd season of this popular Norwegian TV-show. The show is broadcast on TV2 and all the cover song are released in Mp3 format on iTunes, Spotify and TIDAL, and 3 selected songs from each episode are also released on a physical CD.
Alexander’s covers and songs:
(on iTunes only available in Norway)
Elg: “He made a strong, beautiful and melodic interpretation”
“I think Alexander Rybak will surprise us in a positive way. He has an understanding for music that goes beyond the intuition that characterises the other more traditional pop artists.” Ref: Stein Østby, VG, before the broadcasting.
Pictures from the photo-shoot, which took place at the farm in Våler (Moss, Norway) on 31.08.2013, where Alexander Rybak, Øyvind Elgenes, Anneli Drecker, Lars Lillo Stenberg, Simone Eriksrud, Samsaya and Sigvart Dagsland had been living for 2 weeks while filming the 3rd season of the popular Norwegian TV-show “Hver gang vi møtes” (Every time we meet).
Teary eyed gang. Here’s this year`s participants in “Hver gang vi møtes”.
I start cryin just by talking about it
Article published at tv2.no on 31.08.2013 Author: Astrid Dyson. Photographer: Tore Waskaas. Found and translated by Jorunn E. English revision by Anni Jowett.
The artists from “Hver gang vi møtes” can`t hold back their tears this time either.The recording of the third season of “Hver gang vi møtes” is underway at Vestre Kjærnes farm outside Moss. On Saturday the press got to meet the artists Alexander Rybak (27), Simone Eriksrud (43), Sigvart Dagsland (49), Anneli Drecker (44), Lars Lillo-Stenberg (51), Samsaya (33) and Øyvind Elgenes (55).