Alexander Rybak said no to Oprah
Source: Dagbladet.no, published 6. march 2010. Text: Gjermund Jappee. Translation: TessaLa
Text to picture: Fiddler: Alexander Rybak is nominated in 3 Spellemann’s awards this Saturday. Photo: Håkon Eikesdal/Dagbladet
“NO ONE THINKS THAT I MAY FEEL LONLEY “-
After a hard time Alexander Rybak (23) now feels much better. The reason is the three Spellemann awards he can walk away with tonight.
Tonight’s Grammy ceremony can give Alexander Rybak the award for “Hit of the year” for “Fairytale”. As a confirmation of how great he was in the Music Norway last year, and how quickly he got there, he may well also win both the “Newcomer of the Year” an “The male artist of the year”.
To me, these nominations is the first compliment I have for my music since I won the ESC last year, Rybak told Dagbladet. Especially in recent weeks having the chance to win the three categories meant a lot to him.
The nominations have helped me through a very difficult time. Recently wrote the 23-year-old a dramatic post on his Facebook page, where he said that he had a nervous breakdown, and turned the hands into blood hitting the wall. Rybak don’t want to explain to Dagbladet what the difficulties was about.
There is no one who believes that I can feel lonely. That I, who experience so much excitements around the world, also can have it difficult. But I am much better now. And I am very happy to have family and good friends around me.
While Rybak describes this feeling of loneliness as the biggest downturn since the MGP victory last year, the upturn is undoubtedly the feeling of having pleased many. Those who send me letters or come up to me with a drawing, may not think that it matters to me, but it is actually what matters the most.
In addition, he is left with a number of good memories from a year of hectic tours. In Finland they were completely crazy for him, he says. In Azerbaijan, they were even crazier.
The wish to please the fans have done that has clung to agreements, even if more exciting offers would come up. Something Rybak experienced last May. Oprah wanted me to her show , but it crashed with another job, so I declined. In retrospect, it turned out that it was the right choice. I would certainly only be in half a minute and say hello.
Believe in DonkeyBoy.
Although he appreciates the three nominations, Rybak do not see it as a failure if he does not win a Spellemann award tonight. He keeps DonkeyBoy as a favorite to win “Hit of the Year”. “Ambition” came from nowhere and has risen and risen in popularity. “Fairytale” started on top and has sunk and sunk, “he laughs.
Still he is not tired of the MGP-hit, which he thinks he has performed 800 times.
– But I am tired of that everyone else say they are tired of it. But just wait. In some years the dust will be brushed off. This is a song that people will remember.
Rybak: Donkeyboy wins
Interview in paper issue of VG March 5th 2010,
translated by Laila U.
– I am looking forwards to play along with the other artists, says Rybak who is nominated to three Grammy-awards.
The Rookie of the year-class at tomorrows Grammy award ceremony is historically strong. Alexander Rybak believes Donkeyboy wins, but that Vilde Frang deserves it.
About his own chances a modest Rybak says that others will be more happy than he to become Rookie of the year in this strong team.
– For me personally it won’t change anything if I get the award. Those who think I’m a huge flirt, will still think so even afterwards if I was to win. And I have experienced enough this last year – to me it is just another fantastic bonus being nominated to a Grammy award, says Alexander Rybak while looking at VG’s pictures of the other nominees in the Rookie-class.
– I believe Donkeyboy wins. Who is going to win depends on what the jury emphasizes. In a jury of critics , anyone can win. If it is about actuality, Donkeyboy should win, but if it is a music competition Vilde deserves to win. She is the only real musician of us all there, says Rybak who knows Vilde Frang well from Barratt Due.
– I am a huge fan of Vilde, she has been working very hard for a long time. To me she achieved star status 7 years ago.
Kråkesølv and John Olav Nilsen, must Rybak admit that he don’t know very much about, but acknowledges that it is good that they sing in Norwegian.
– I was travelling insanely much last year and didn’t have time to go to concerts or listen to new music, but I have heard that in a newspaper John Olav Nilsen called me “a figure”. That is my only impression, he says.
Of his three nominations, Rybak himself thinks he has the best chance to win the award as “best male artist”, but says he got his confirmation on how good he is when he won ESC last year.
– I am lucky enough not to depend on having an award. All the other confirmations I have got since last May is more important – like the number of violin students at the music schools is doubled, that everybody wants to dance like Frikar and that I can be an example of a crossover-artist for those who come behind me, that people don’t lock me in one boring musical box, he says.
Short article: Everybody supports one another
This years nominees in the Rookie of the year.award all support eachother, despite the fact that they are not only fighting for the bronze harp, but for a scholarship from GRAMO on 200.000NOK.
When Kråkesølv released “Trådnøsting” last November, John Olav Nilsen quickly put out following message on Kråkesølv’s MySpace-site: “Oi boys, congratulations with a great album, love it.”
The guys from Bodø returned the greeting the next day: “Thank you! That’s good, then we agree!”
Alexander Rybak doesn’t hide his affection for Donkeyboy. – I can hear that it comes from the heart. And “Ambitions” have a very catchy chorus, says Rybak, and gets an answer from Donkeyboys Peter Michelsen: – Nice to hear. I think I speak for all the band when I say that TRybak is a favourite, at the same time as John Olav Nilsen is excting and has strong lyrics, says Michelsen.