Alexander Rybak is working on his biggest project ever. A story about a troll who plays violin and hide in the forest.
– The freedom to do what I want, is both the best and the worst, says the still single artist.
Text to the main photo: Home-loving: – Nesodden means two things for me. Family and Thomas. They are two important factors in my identity. Mom and Dad reminds me of how ambitious I am, while Thomas reminds me how great guy I am, and how much fun I can have with a best friend.
ON THE DOOR BELL PANEL on Bryggetorget at Aker Brygge there is no “Alexander Rybak”. A Russian-sounding name is, so I try that one, but no one opens the door. Then comes the 28-year-old with long strides across the town square. Tall and dark and slender and handsome, with a brown McDonalds bag in his hand.
– I removed the nameplate because there were so many people ringing the bell, he explains.
For the first time Alexander Rybak shows off his apartement at Aker Brygge.
Welcome! Alexander Rybak (27) is of current interest with the TV2 success “Hver Gang Vi Møtes”.
– I got along best with Sigvart Dagsland. He thinks of music at the same level as me. I am already looking forward to the next time I’ll see him, he tells.
The busy guy with the fiddle is traveling most of the time. He is away from home 250 days a year. When he happens to be at his apartment at Aker Brygge in Oslo he enjoys relaxing in front of his new 55 inch 4K-TV.
Article in the paper issue of Se & Hør, published 13.4.2014. Text: Per Sigve Kleppe. Photos: Henning Jensen Found, scanned and translated by Jorunn E. English revision by Anni Jowett.
Alexander opens the doors to his bachelor burrow
Bachelor burrow: The 55 inch TV is the centerpiece of the living room. – I enjoy life when I get to sit on the couch and play video games, said Alexander Rybak.
I have learnt to enjoy life when I`m at home. This is my “safe house”. I play TV-games, watch movies and build LEGO. LEGO is what I busy myself with when I write lyrics, he tells.
Lives here: In 2010 Alexander bought a 90 square metre apartment at the attractive area Aker Brygge in Oslo. He paid a little over five million Norwegian krone for it.
– I remember I got scolded by my Norwegian teacher in primary school. We got a book, and we students were going to read one chapter a week. I read the book in a few hours. The teacher did not believe me and got grumpy, smiles Alexander.
Could have been burnt out
Playing the violin at Alexander’s level is a demanding exercise. Dad Igor tells they are happy he doesn’t only give violin concerts.
– If that was the case, my son would’ve been burnt out already. It`s difficult to understand how demanding it is to give a violin concert, tells Igor who says his son was already a capable violinist at the age of six.
Many people claim that Alexander has the gene of a genius in his body. Like many other geniuses he has chosen his own path. Sometimes things have become too much for him, like when he hit his hand against the wall in rage. And when he smashed his violin during a rehearsal.
Sushi dinner: The Rybak family are having a very nice time chatting around the dinner table. Alexander served sushi.
World fame: Here Alexander Rybak is pictured during his performance of Fairytale at the final in Moscow in 2009. This was the moment that changed his life.
Nice memories: The trophy of all trophies is standing on the mantle: The proof that he won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009 with the legendary Fairytale
– I can go 12 days in a row with four to five hours of sleep. Then I’m out of balance. If it`s in addition to a big pressure similar things like when I hit my hand against the wall and had to wear a cast occurred. But now I have learnt to live with it. Now I’m able to stay calm in such situations.
The MGP-legend is used to high and low tunes. The music reflects his life.
– Sometimes I don’t feel anything. It’s all empty. During those periods I’m the most susceptible, and often those are the times when I create new music, he tells.
Could`ve been “The Bachelor”
Music has given Alexander opportunities and great offers. Some things he has accepted, others he regrets turning down.
– I turned down being a guest at the Oprah Winfrey show a few years ago. Also I turned down participating in the Ukrainian celebrity Version of “The Bachelor”. They offered me 8 million Krone, but I had a girlfriend at the time. If I had received the offer today, the answer would’ve surely been different, he says smiling.
At the age of 27, however, he has achieved more than most people. That’s why it’s suitable to finish this article with these words from Alexander:
– This isn’t something a mother or father enjoys hearing, but I can say that if I died today I would’ve died a lucky man.
The show “Skogheim flytter inn” (Skogheim moves in) is a popular Norwegian TV-show, where the journalist Kristin Skogheim packs her bags and simply moves into some of Norway’s most famous celebrities. Alexander Rybak became the first celebrity in 2012 who was visited in his appartment at Aker Brygge. The program was recorded in September 2011 and broadcast on TV2, February 28, 2012. Enjoy 45 minutes video about some days in Alex’s life home at Aker Brygge! 🙂
Upload by Venche M. English translation by Hildebjorg H., Laila S.H., Tessa La, Sara Anja. Subs by Julia B. and Zhanna Sergueeva.