Link to original article: http://www.vg.no/musikk/grand-prix/artikkel.php?artid=10001858
Translation by Marianne Saietz.
Rybak in the sun. “I think, many people think, it is IN trend not to like Alexander Rybak”,- says Alexander Rybak, when he met VG on a pier at Nesodden.
Foto: Krister Sørbø
Alexander Rybak doesn´t recognize the problem of the difficult second album.
– I think, many thinks, it is “in” not to like Alexander Rybak. I am prepared , it might be slaughter,- Alexander Rybak says to VG.
Monday, the Eurovision-winner releases his second album, which has been called «No Boundaries» and gets a 3 on the dice from VG. The first single, ” Oah” had the dice-throw one, but Rybak states, that he doesn’t care for the critique of the music he makes.
– I did not make an album to satisfy the critics. If I wanted, I could make an album, which would get a six on the-dices. I know how to do that, he says and refers to when the critic of VG gave him a six for the album Fairytales.
– Did you do this, this time?
– No, absolutely not. But it was not the plan either.
Rybak says he has much higher plans for his new album, than to get good response from the critics.
– I wish people in half a year from now to think, that they go culturally enriched by this album,- says Alexander Rybak.
Therefore, he has experimented with genres and put punk, pop, trance and musical-songs on the album. The aim is to be a communicator of music.
– I want people to listen to the punk-song and think: ” Wow, I liked that. I need to hear more of this “. And then, they won’t find more of it on my album, but then, they will find other artists, who play punk and get introduced to a lot of new music,- says Rybak
– Recently, you said, you would draw back from being a pop artist. Is it the beginning of that, we see on this album?
– No, I just said that, because I was in love. I thought I would write a musical for this girl, but now she is out of the picture. So there won’t be a musical. Or there will be a musical, but with another girl in the lead role,- Rybak explains.
With a new album coming out, it will be busy days for Rybak in the future. The Fiddler from Nesodden is still popular in almost all Europe. In Russia, they thought ” Oah” was a good song.
– That is probably because, I haven’t been there for some time. When I have done a lot there too, they will probably get less excited about me. Popularity comes in waves,- thinks Rybak.