Alexander Rybak (27) does not believe there will be tearful moments during “Hver Gang Vi Møtes” (“Every Time We Meet”).
Article from tv2.no, published on June 21st, 2013
Author: Stine Eriksen Found and translated by Tessa Lande. Revised by Katie Anderson.
Friday it was announced that Alexander Rybak (27) is one of seven artists who will participate in “Hver Gang Vi Møtes” this autumn on TV 2.
After the cancelled concerts, outbursts on stage, and depression rumors, Rybak has been “slaughtered” in the media. The years after the great victory in the Eurovision Song Contest have done something to the 27-year-old.
– I have experienced a lot the past years, and have become strong mentally, he says to tv2.no.
Since the Eurovision victory with “Fairytale”, Rybak has released four albums. He has been awarded the “Spellemann of the year” and held concerts all over the world. In 2011 the artist participated in the Swedish “Let’s Dance.”
Cried twice in ten years
“Hver Gang Vi Møtes” is known as a program with a lot crying, but Rybak doubts that the TV-viewers will see him wipe away tears in prime time.
– In the last ten years I have only cried twice, Rybak says.
The first time was when he saw the musical “Singing in the rain”. The second time was at Disney World in Florida a few weeks ago. Both times it was tears of joy.
– It takes a lot to make me cry. It must be fireworks. Then I am moved! I like moments that are earthy and spectacular at the same time.
– Do you think we will have that kind of moment in “Hver Gang Vi Møtes”?
– I am quite sure that all the others can deliver really great TV moments. But if I’m going to cry? Yes, one must manage to make a real Disney moment …
Afraid to sweat
Those who will try to create Disney moments for Rybak in this year’s “Hver Gang Vi Møtes” are Simone Eriksrud, Sigvart Dagsland, Anneli Drecker, Lars Lillo-Stenberg, Samsaya and Øivind “Elg” Elgenes.
Rybak thinks deLillos might be able to do it.
– I’m a superfan of deLillos, and I try to seek the simplicity in their songs. Suddenly I will dine at the same table as him. I’m afraid that I’m going to sit there and sweat in front of him.
Want to Copy
In the “Hver Gang Vi Møtes” dinner party, there are many artists with strong songs. Rybak thinks the biggest challenge will be to make the songs their own.
– One is influenced by the original and will want to copy the song, but I want to contribute with my own versions. I am a professional, and this is the job I’m looking most forward to, Rybak says.
In addition to sharing songs with each other in the program, the artists will also share stories.
– What will the TV-viewers learn about you that they did not already know?
– I have things that I stand for and want to share with the audience, so it is up to each individual as to whether they want to learn from it or look at it as pure entertainment.