“Alexander Rybak: The main criteria when buying clothes are pleasant fabric and comfortable style”
Article from the Ukrainian Internet magazine Shopper.Ua., published 1. November 2010
Translated by Sonya Luzina)
– I don’t dwell on my style. The main thing is that my clothes should be comfortable; it mustn’t constrain my movements on stage.
– Do you suspect that your strongest advantage is, perhaps, a sincere smile?
– I’m quite self-critical and try to estimate myself and my activities carefully. I sincerely believe that my biggest advantage is playing the violin. And I do sing well (laughs)! And it’s better to ask my fans about my smile.
– I can’t limit my music to only one style. Especially now, when I try to be comprehensive in my development: I try to be close to the culture of each country where I perform in the songs. Just recently I wrote a new rock style song, called «Why not me?». It turned out to be kind of “Rybak’s rock” style (laughs).
– Does your image and style of music correspond to your style of stage clothing?
– Never thought about it. I wear what I like .. and sing only what is close to me as well, so it corresponds.
– Does your stage clothes differ from the everyday clothes?
– No. I wear a shirt, pants, vests … It’s comfortable clothes for me. The only difference is that I can go to the shop or at a rehearsal wearing a sports jacket. But it doesn’t happen often. I love the classic colors – white, black, sometimes gray. In Norway the people doesn’t concern about the choice of clothes (even to stage clothes) as much as in Ukraine. The main thing is that an artist should be interesting, and what clothes he performs is not important.
– Who sews and creates your stage clothes?
– I choose and buy them myself.
– Which brands of clothes do you prefer in real life, off stage?
– I’m not a shopaholic and I don’t pay attention to the brand. Pleasant fabric and comfortable style are the main criteria for me. It often happens that I have to travel for weeks from one country to another. I arrive to the country and buy clothes just on place. Since I always have limited time for that, I have to make shopping at local shops, which could appear not very popular.