Article published in the paper issue of “Sarpsborg Arbeiderblad” on 21.11.12
Author and photo: Mats Duan
Found by Ulli C. Translated by Tessa Lande. English revision by Katie Anderson.
SINGS ALONG: Alexander Rybak is ready with the Christmas CD “Christmas Tales”, which will be released 23rd of November. Annsofie Pettersen Borgenhaugen sings along with him on one of the songs.
Photo: Mats Duan
Annsofi praised by Rybak
The singer from Sarpsborg on the new Christmas CD
Annsofie Pettersen and Alexander Rybak have definitely found the tone. On Rybak’s new Christmas album they sing in the Christmas spirit together. – It is very gratifying to work with Annsofie. She is energetic and always well prepared, something that makes the rest of us feel safer. Thus, we can enjoy ourselves more spontaneously when we sing,- Alexander Rybak says to SA.
His new Christmas album, “Christmas Tales”, will be released this Friday. The album contains a number of old-fashioned Christmas pearls, clearly jazzy. Rybak has spent several weeks putting together songs and a big band orchestra, which will shine in the background. On one of the songs on the CD, the duet “Baby it’s Cold Outside,” that Frank Loesser wrote in 1944, Annsofie Pettersen and he sing together. According to Alexander Rybak he noticed Annsofie Pettersen when she was an X-factor-contestant. After that, they have met on several occasions.
– We’ve sung together before, during a Christmas concert at Chat Noir, in which various guest artists participated. I noticed early that Annsofie had a jazz quality to her, and thought she would fit perfectly into a song on this album. I love what she does! She has a very unique and special voice,- Rybak praises.
It must be nice to be so praised by Alexander Rybak. How has it been working with him?
– I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to do so. It has been incredibly inspiring and fun. He’s very talented, and I learned a lot, especially when it comes to how it works in the studio. This is actually my first real recording, Pettersen says. The CD, which the duo hopes will bring out the Christmas spirit in houses and cottages all over the country, will be on sale Friday. Songs like “Let it Snow” and “Winter Wonderland”, are some of the CD’s twelve songs.
– How do you put your own mark on the old and familiar songs you sing?
– We’ve tried to sing it with a little twinkle in our eyes. Annsofie sometimes looks a little fluttery when she walks on the street. We’ve tried to make her personality visible throughout the song, Rybak reveals and laughs. Another notable artist who as contributed on the CD is Didrik Solli-Tangen.
Will become big
Annsofie Pettersen is excited before the release, and hope the CD sells “in buckets and bins.”
– It is exciting to think that my voice can reach people all over the country,- she said. Alexander Rybak agreed and added:
– It has been my childhood dream to record such a CD.
Solid on several levels
It is quite clear that the Borgenhaugen girl Annsofie Pettersen has taken another major step in her music career. After one year of music at Greåker High School, she decided to complete the final two years on general studies. She has worked hard to combine both school and music, but has managed to get good grades. She has also taken major steps forward in the music industry.
– It has been a hard run, and it still is. But in six months it will be over. Then I will have finished school, and am going to take at least a year off to work with music,- she says.
– Do you have any musical future plans now?
– I can not say anything about it at the moment. However, we can come back to it later, she said mysteriously.
● ANNSOFI PETTERSEN
Name: Annsofi Pettersen
Background: HAS been a student of musical studies at Greåker High School. Now studies at St.Olav High School. Participated in Team Åge who in 2010 won TV2s The Big Choir competition. Number 3 in X-Factor 2010.
Current: Participates on Alexander Rybak’s new Christmas CD.
● ALEXANDER RYBAK
Born: 13th of May 1986 in Minsk, Belarus
Profession: Singer, violinist, composer and actor
Break through: Rybak became known internationally when he won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009 with the song “Fairytale,” which he wrote himself. He was awarded “Spelleman of the year” at the Spellemannsprisen (Norwegian Grammy Award) in 2009, and in 2010 he won the class for “Newcomer of the Year” in the MUZ-TV, which is the most prestigious music awards in the Russian music industry.
Current: New Christmas CD«Christmas Tales», release date 23rd of November.
● CHRISTMAS TALES
Alexander Rybak’s Christmas CD contains the following songs:
– The Christmas Song
– Winter Wonderland
– Let It Snow
– Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
– Tell Me When
– Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
– Baby It’s Cold Outside
– Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer
– Silver Bells
– I’ll Be Home for Christmas
– Silent Night
You can find information on how to preorder the Christmas CD of Alexander Rybak here
This post is also available in Русский.