Author : Stian Fyen. Photo: Jacques Hvistendahl
Found and translated by Tessa Lande. English revision by Anni Jowett
Meet: The artists Øivind ‘Elg”‘ Elgenes and Alexander Rybak will participate in this autumn’s “Hver gang vi møtes” on TV 2. Both musicians were happy to be asked, and had to clear the calendars before the recording this summer.
We are schizophrenic by choice
Alexander Rybak (27) believes he has become better at dealing with all the attention. While Øivind “Elg” Elgenes deliberately stayed away from parts of the spotlight.
– I feel I have more control now. Earlier I wanted to get away from it all. Now I have learned to enjoy myself when I have to give autographs and hugs every time I’m out on the streets. It is almost commonplace,- Alexander Rybak says.
Yesterday it was announced who would be the seven artists involved when TV 2 starts off the third round of “Hver gang vi møtes” this autumn.
Two of the artists who will take part and interpret each other’s songs are Øivind “Elg” Elgenes and Alexander Rybak.
Rybak became an international star overnight after the victory in Eurovision with the song Fairytale. And the enormous popularity has remained. When he meets “Elg” at Aker Brygge he has to constantly stop and be photographed, and gladly signs both pieces of paper and bodies.
– Unfortunately more and more stalkers have appeared. But it’s no big deal. It’s a lifestyle. You do not enter the entertainment business if you want to be behind the camera. It’s something you’ve said yes to and think is fun,- Rybak says.
“Elg” has also experienced his share of popularity, both as a solo artist and with the band Dance With a Stranger, he has toured around the country since the 80’s.
– I have been so smart that when Dance With a Stranger broke through I took my wife and kids with me and moved back to Kristiansund. I have been there since then. I have mixed minimally with the business industry, and that has been quite deliberately from my side. I have four kids at home, and no time for that,- he said.
– It’s a lifestyle. I do not know much about it, but when I see “Elg” on stage I see an honesty and naturalness of their performance that cannot be fake. To do that you have to be strong and ready to enjoy life. The way you live your life shows on stage.
– “We are schizophrenic by choice,- “Elg” shoots in.
Both artists were happy to be asked to participate in the popular program.
– It was very charming to be asked to be involved. Charming and good due to the profession to participate. The program is very feel good, human, open, empathetic, and one must give of himself, says “Elg”.
– There is so much diving and cookery for artists on television, and I cannot do that. I must have something musical in the centre for it to be good TV, Rybak says. It is only two weeks since they were asked, and both had to clear their calendars before agreeing at such short notice. Rybak is in the middle of a tour during the recording. Instead of cancelling concerts in Lithuania, he instead chose to postpone the concerts.
– I never cancel concerts. I had to turn down Oprah Winfrey once because I had concerts in Sweden. It is more important to keep the fans, Rybak says.
This post is also available in Русский.