1. Orkester-Forum (paper edition): “Alexander on-the-road”
researched by Anne Liisa Gustavsen
The first is a nice interview with Alex on page 8-9, about his new record, orchestra playing, teaching on orchestra courses, what is a good teacher, practicing when one is young and something about the Jante law.
The second is an article on page 11 about Ung Symfoni (Young Symphony Orchestra). They are going to Japan at Easter, and Alex is going with them as a soloist.
Orchestra-forum has been given an exclusive interview agreement with Alexander Rybak. After few days of telephones and mail back and forth, coming final message we have hoped for from the promoter Simen Eidsvåg: “Alexander will call you tonight at 18 – OK?”
Sure it is OK.
By Kari Saanum
At 20, we have almost given up. Thinking the disc recording in Malmö certainly has taken longer than expected. That Alexander certainly is tired. Too tired. Or maybe he has gone for dinner, and forgot all of it? When the phone rings.
– Hello? we say.
– Hello, it’s Alexander, “says Alexander.
He sounds nice out. Almost a little shy. And certainly not sour or blærete, although he is very familiar.
– Hey Alexander! we say. – How are you?
– I’m on my way out of the plane, “says Alexander.
And then there’s quiet. That is to say – we hear that Alexander is talking, but it is not for us.
– Thanks for the ride, “said Alexander to the stewardess.
– Have a good day, “she says.
– Have a good day, you and, responding Alexander.
We do not ask, but think: How many people have Alexander Rybak met in the past year? He takes the time to say hello to all, is it possible?
– Are you, are you, please sit down? we ask.
One moment we hear he hesitates on the phone. Then he says:
– Right now I drop the stairs …
Exactly. Then it becomes like that. An in-Halfa-interview with Alexander Rybak.
Is it good for him, and it will always go for us.
– You have been and recorded the disc in Malmo? we ask when we hear Alexander
– Yes, parts of it at least.
– When is it?
– Hopefully before the summer. When I was going to make the disc, it would have to be a summer record. The albums I have a relationship with, are the ones I listened to in the summer holidays. When one has time.
– Have you made the music yourself?
– Yes, definitely, at least most. And then I found some very good cover songs. I have actually
too many songs already, but I still insist on having with cover songs.
ORCHESTRA is fun!
– You have inspired many children and young people to want to play the violin.
– Yes, I’m glad! While not exactly the classic I’m struck through with, so it is important to have a classical background.
– Many of the children will probably to play in an orchestra, sooner or later.
– I hope they do! I am one of those rare who are unable to enjoy chamber music. Orchestra is much more fun, because there are so many involved. Man is really sharpened, you feel the energy, each one is a common organism. When many in the orchestra is sharpened, so it is difficult to be noise bucket. At the same time, it is true that when it approaches the last 15-20 minutes and some start to whisper-ist, so begins the all. And that’s a little cool.
– You’ve played in several orchestras. Is it fun to be a soloist or to play in the orchestra?
– In concert, it is more fun to be a soloist. But the exercises are of course far more fun to be in the orchestra.
ORCHESTRA PLAY MAKES YOU SOCIAL
– Has it helped you to be in the orchestra when you meet so many people as you do now? – we ask.
This question is perhaps a little strange for people who have not played in the orchestra, but Alexander understand at once what it’s all about.
– Yes, absolutely. I do not know how I shall explain it, but it has helped me. Mon sharpens the senses and check what you can help. In orchestral thinking, for example, “maybe I will play low, because the other player low “. It has been like that group of Klang. Similarly, it is if you are on board a plane and hit someone. They want to be at their level. One does not want to be the one who does not speak while the others are talking. But you will not be the one to interfere the plane and make the two other very embarrassed.
TEACHER OF THE ORCHESTRA COURSES
– You’ve been a teacher himself, blah. Last year, the summer course in Ålesund.
– Yes! I have also had a Master Class in Mo i Rana. Which also helped me. I thought it was very
fun. I thought it was extra easy to learn for people who do not play the violin. It was certainly good to begin with the teacher – To have students who do not play your instrument. Then you can not say anything technical to them. Then you have to start thinking logically instead.
For example, was a musician who krøkte a little too much together in the back, so I said only: Raise your chest a little further up. Or completely different things. Come with choreography –
proposals, for example.
– What is important when you teach in the orchestra?
– It was important to make sure not to always show off the best. Keep eye contact with everyone. From time to use someone who is not on the best level and show them. Indicate when they did well. So that everyone felt involved.
WHAT IS A GOOD TEACHER
– So what is a good teacher? Which teacher has meant most to you?
– It is Geir Inge Lotsberg. Without a doubt. He treats his pupils individually. He’s not a school, he goes after. Schools are very dangerous. Especially inexperienced teachers often make it so. They have seen some tricks, and then uses the tricks of all.
– While Geir Inge Lotsberg is good to see the student?
– Yes. It is one of the reasons that older teachers often work better. When it comes to myself, are not I a kind of teacher or coach who had managed to put a plan and then run a race for a student in two years. There is a big responsibility, and as much as I have to do now, I would not have done it. When I hold orchestral course there will be something else. It’s just fun!
– Do you still lessons from Geir Inge Lotsberg?
– No, but I hope to do it again soon. I have not practiced for a long time.
Practicing to death
– Practice you still?
– No, no. Before that I practiced maybe two hours each day. When I was little. Very little.
– No more?
– No, probably not. I practiced only when I was more stringent in the head.
– That the practice is a bit overvalued.
– It is rare to have application to 3-4 hours of rehearsal. When I had new songs to learn, use
I would like 4-5 hours every day, for it seemed to me that was exciting! But I have never understood the purpose of practicing to death when you can the whole repertoire of his. Then it is better using a half-hour each day, I think.
Both parents are the musicians.
– Lot of yourself have to decide how much you should practice when you were little?
Alexander laughs heartily.
– No, no, to No, no!- he says.
– They should decide. It is the Russian culture – children do not know much. But they have something to learn both of the Russian culture and Norwegian culture, where children just to experiment and play his way. There are two opposites, which may be combined. It is very stupid if everyone will just have to be very strict and authoritarian, without being pals with the children. But it is equally stupid like it is here in Norway, in both kindergarten
and school. It’s not learning anything there. It’s actually nice way to combine the two ways, and I think actually the parents mine did. They were shocked at how well children were allowed to have it in Norway. Although they did not come with the fashion of a time when, and was a little Russian and strict.
– How old were you when they let you be let loose on their own?
– So – when you go on the Norwegian school, so learn the course gradually that one has control over their own lives. But my parents were very good at giving me an illusion that I controlled my life for yourself! – Alexander laughs.
– Studies show that children of immigrants often reaches far in the musical context in relation to ethnic Norwegian children. What do you think of this? You may have noticed this yourself?
– It’s a much stronger discipline. This one is very good at in Norway, is that you do everything with a smile. Man is more inclusive against all when the artist. On the other hand is not so good (laughs). One does not have as much basis.
– It’s not that important level here in Norway. This one begins the first to worry about when you are 18-19 years, and then of course too late. At least when it comes to instruments.
Unfortunately. Many try to argue against this and talking about people who start to play when they are 25 years old. But that’s just nonsense. It’s not on the physical. It is always possible to learn if you have the right body building, etc. But there are many ports in the brain that closes up when you are 4-5 years, and there are some that closes up when you are 7-8 years. What you have learned until then, the base your life.
It is very important that parents not be over-committed and ambitious facing a fifteen year old who has never touched an instrument. When they suddenly decide to whip him until he is very clever, it’s silly.
JANTE-LAW A CHILD RULES
– Many people start with the Jante-law too late, “said Alexander eagerly.
– Jante-law should the learning when they are small.
What? Now we’re suddenly not sure if we have heard correctly. Jante-law’s an abuse in Norway. Alexander has misunderstood?
– Jante-law is all the more that one should not believe one is something … we try.
– In Russia, learn not there, “says Alexander. – In Russia’s all really blærete. There have been ikkke Jante-law. But in Norway resort to such hard assets. Teaches children that you will not believe you are something.
But gradually, says the teachers that you must take Jante-law with a grain of salt. There are many adults who practice Jante-law. But when it becomes wrong. Jante-law should be a children’s rigmarole, there.
It’s getting time to stop, we’ll mark. Alexander has in the course of the interview had sat down, it sounds like, and he replies patiently. Now he says that he is on his way somewhere else.
We have time still to hear a little about the two films he has starred in, and that he thought it was fun to dub animation film he has just one vote. We will also know that Alexander has a dog named Cindy. What kind of dog it was, we were not with us.
But just what can we learn another time.
– Thank you for today, “says Alexander.
– Thank you for today and have a good time, we say.
It has been exciting and fun to talk with Alexander Rybak. Now we know little more about the basis for the life he lives as a musician-the-go.
2. tv2 “Alexander Rybak about Moa: She is the kind of girl that make me want to move to the countryside”
(digged by Helen Juvik)
(Translation by Ingegerd Claesson)
She is the kind of girl that make me want to move to the countryside
Alexander Rybak about Moa (17).
Alexander Rybak is now working a musical project with three girls from the Barratt Due, the school he attended.
– I’ve been invovled with all three. Hehe, oh no. There are the three prettiest girls in school that I have a background with. Therefore, I decided to write a love song to each of them, “said Rybak to youth magazine Jam.
– My first kiss
– The first is Cathrine as I constantly tried to get a date with from when I was 17 until I turned the 20. I sent three different sms. One day I told how beautiful she was, the next I reacted with anger since she did not answer, and with the third I apologised for my behavior, “says the artist to the magazine.
– Maria was actually my first kiss. I sing to her that I know that when she marries the man in her life, I’m going to cry.
– Make me want to move to the countryside
About his recent flirt Moa Johanne Mein Rich (17) Rybak says that she gets him to would not be a pop star anymore.
– Well Moa is just Moa. She is the kind of girl that make me not want to be a pop star, but rather just move to the countryside. It is a popsang about that you do not really know. Are you in love or are you not, “said Rybak, before answering the following questions if he is in love:
– Yes, yes, no, or, we keep it on a professional level.
– Let’s say that we will see about one year, he declares to the Top.
Last autumn, there arose a rumor that Alexander Rybak would move in together with Moa, but these were later disproved.
Moa has previously been involved in “Rock School” on TV 2 Zebra.
A new article about Alex and Bettan, doing shows together in Tønsberg from July 28th.
(translation by Laila S.)
“Today it was definite who will be on stage at Hotel Klubben this summer.
1st of July it starts off with Kristian Valen, who brings with him several known caracters from the TV-show ‘Valens Breakfast-TV’
Three weeks later Barbro ‘Lill-Babs’ Svensson takes over with her show.
28th of July Elisabeth ‘Bettan’ Andreasson and Alexander Rybak are coming. They will be in the first run play seven performances together.
– We have a wonderful chemistry together on the scene. It matches on all levels both concerning humor and musicality,- Bettan said on today’s press conference.
(Read more in Tønsberg Blad tomorrow)”